Create search terms from specific to general (ex. Try “Eastern Red-Backed Salamander” before just “salamander”).
- Put quotation marks around phrases (ex. “Margaret Chase Smith”).
- Use AND or “+” to require words (ex. Explorers +European).
- Use NOT or “-” to limit the search (ex. Explorers -Ford).
- Use OR to search for variations in endings and synonyms (ex. airline OR airlines).
- Use the Advanced Search feature to really refine your search and to limit the age of documents.
- Use the “Are you looking for…” feature on www.dogpile.com to help generate more search terms.
Children should always be supervised when using search engines and the Internet.
More Internet Searching Information